Free Spell Check program - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Spell Check program

If you are using default then the "allow other browser services" will not be selected. Try setting this to true and retry.

No luck. By the way, if you click on it, it displays the explanation. True is the default.

Possible breakthrough! I just got off the phone with RIM. It DOES look like its related to Nextel. Below is their email explanation to me. I've forwarded this to deadstick. Hopefully the necessary changes can be made so I can use this app on our network!!

The problem sounds like it is caused by the application not using the correct connection type. On most BlackBerry handhelds, the default connection used (unless explicitly specified by the application) is to go through the BlackBerry MDS Server. However, this is not the case for BlackBerry handhelds running on the iDEN network, which include the BlackBerry 7510 you are using. The default connection used by a BlackBerry 7510 is to use the direct TCP connection over the iDEN (Nextel or Telus) network, not your BlackBerry MDS Server. This is the most likely cause of the application not being able to contact your internal server, because it is attempting to do so from an outside internet connection. If it is a third party application you are using, the required change will need to be made by the software vendor. Please direct them to the following document linked to below and instruct them to email us at jde@rim.com if they have any questions.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...46282&vernum=0

Unhappy

I just installed .81 and can not get my menu items back!! This is one of the most useful programs on my BB HELP! I have rebooted, pulled the battery numerous times, reinstalled the older version but nothing works. Is there anything I can do???

well, finally got it to work. Guess you just have to keep rebooting.

Where can you download the pearl server?

This program works GREAT!!!! However I am intrested in hosting my own server. I have seen several refrences like

"There is a Server written in Perl that you are more than welcome to use as your own server, instead of using mine."

And in the documentation for setting up the server it refrences configuring the file BBSpellCheckServer.cgi

However I cannot seem to find where to download it? Any help would be appreciated

-David

try reading the help file that came with it.
    Pin 4002EF71

Just released BBSpellCheck V0.91 RC2. This will be the last release candidate before the final V1.0 comes out:

V0.91 RC2
    * Explicity say whether to use a MDS proxy or not. Apparantly the default for certain Nextel
    models is different to other carriers
    * Rearrange order of options screen menu items

The big issue this version fixes is for Nextel only users who want to use there own BBSpellCheck server within there own firewall. Nextel devices do things a little different than other carriers, fun fun...

Oh, I've also had a number of requests of where to find the CGI server code. It is located here

Enjoy

Way to go Deadstick! Thanks for all the Nextel help. This is one thing about Nextel that definitely makes things interesting. You didn't give up and I sincerely appreciate it. This is one great application!!

I'm getting an odd reply that I've yet seen mentioned.

When I attempt to run a check it comes back with "BBSpellCheck Error: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP"

Any ideas?

quick question...

Great initiative Deadstick on a valuable app like BBspell.

I did install the app and the server piece but whenever I test and mis-spell words in the body of my email and hit the whell and select "Spelling" the splash screen "Checking Spelling" appears followed by "No Spelling errors found"

I have succesfully tested my cgi-bin under IIS6
    Installed both File::Temp and CGI modules
    I have installed the english pre-compiled dictionaries to Aspell and tested from a command line.

please advise as to what might be going on.

--J
    Last edited by jpichler; 03-31-2005 at 11:04 PM.

jpichler, I don't know if you've done this or not, but make sure your server is sending back the XML packet. The easiest way I do this is to remove the client piece out of the equation and use a standard HTML form such as:

<form action="http://<myhost>/cgi-bin/BBSpellCheckServer.cgi" method="POST">
    text: <textarea name="check"></textarea>
    <input type="submit" value="Send">
    </form>

to test the server with. In this way you can see the response in the browser and also add debug/print statements in the CGI at various places to see whats going on (remember to remove these before trying with BBSpellCheck).

Once you've past this point and you know 100% the server is returning an XML packet you can bring the client piece back in and test. At this point its usually TCP issues that start cropping up, but the fact that you aren't seeing these now leads me to believe the server isn't returning what is expected....

Also read the release notes (if you haven't already) and make sure you've performed all the steps listed.

here is what I see...

after comparing the release notes with what I did the only difference is that where you add

"C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s"

to the mapping I need to add

C:\perl\bin\perl.exe "%s" %s

to get any of my .cgi scripts to work, with your test code above my browser returns a blank page (as you suspected) with the following in "view source"

<spell-results></spell-results>

and that matches the output commented out in the BBspellCheckServer.cgi file. (except the return webpage is blank)

I am wondering if that script is not invoking the Aspell correctly.

this is my entry
    # The Aspell executable
    my $cmdAspellExe = "\"C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin\aspell\"";

and this is the path to my aspell.exe

C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin

is there somewhere I can see the temp file being written on the server to insure thats being done correctly?

what else could I be missing?

--J

--jpichler
    Last edited by jpichler; 04-01-2005 at 08:04 AM.

i finally got it to work...

the issue was that I had to escape the "\" so the line in the .cgi script for calling the Aspell looks like this.

my $cmdAspellExe = "\"C:\\Program Files\\Aspell\\bin\\aspell\"";

--J

www.idencustom.com
    PIN: 201E8E77

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast