Help with unlocking maps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with unlocking maps

Help with unlocking maps

I have tried to install maps using the Maps Install application in Palm Desktop. When I first launch it I get a message saying I need to unlock the maps. No problem. I put in the 25 digit code that came with my unit and then the customer code and ti says it is unlocked. When I go back into the Map Install application it still says that the ver 6 maps are locked. I am installing the ver 6 maps while I wait for my upgrade to 7. I have unistalled all software and even did a Windows XP restore to two days ago to make sure that I got everything. Verified in registry as well.

Is there something I am doing wrong. Is it possible that the code I have is for ver 7 maps since that is what i was supposed to recieve in the package?

Please help.

Have you visited:-
    http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/m...fault.asp?L=EN

What unit do you have?
    What is the Original Software that came with the unit called?
    Do you use MapSource?

duh, I forgot to say that this was for the 3600. Yes this is for the Mapsource City Select software, North America ver 6, that came with the unit. I guess I am more frustrated than I thought. Thanks for your quick reply.
    Last edited by deadringer; 03-04-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Use the link I gave you.
    You should, if the CitySelect is truly unlocked see all your details in your account. Here, I see all my unlock codes for v5, v6, v7 and today v8 [Europe]

Using the link that you gave me I see that I have unlocked v6 but the software on my PC still says that the maps are locked.

Any ideas?

Can you see the maps within MapSource on the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by strumble
    Can you see the maps within MapSource on the PC?
    I can't even get into Mapsource. When I click on Start in Windows and then go to programs under Mapsource the only things that are listed are

City Select North American v6 Map Installation Wizard
    Garmin's Unlock Page
    MapSource Unlock Wizard

The first starts the wizard and ives me a choice of whether to

Modify
    Repair
    Remove

The installation of Mapsource CS NA v6

The second brings me to the website www.Garmin.com/Unlock and clicking next there brings me to the website that you provided earlier. Once there I put in my Registration code and it brings me to the page that tells which products I have unlocked. However it states I am on step 2 or 7 and there does not seem to be a way for me to move onto step three. The only choices from here are to Redeem more unlock coupons and amrin units or to view personal info and unlock an update disk.

The third is the unlock wizard which asks me for my 25 digit unlock code that I have from the Yellow Paper that was in the unit.

From the Palm Desktop I see the MapInstall.exe Program and this brings me to the window that lists which products are currently locked and v6 is listed there even though the webiste tells me I have unlocked them.

Does it help to tell you that this is a refurbished unit or does that not matter. I bought it from a very respected seller on eBay.
    Last edited by deadringer; 03-04-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Does it help to tell you that this is a refurbished unit or does that not matter. I bought it from a very respected seller on eBay.
    On the Garmin site the software (map sets) is listed as unlocked for a particular device. Does the device listed match up with the iQue that you have?
    Also, you can download Mapsource (the program) from here
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jrose1g
    On the Garmin site the software (map sets) is listed as unlocked for a particular device. Does the device listed match up with the iQue that you have? This is a very important point!
    Also, you can download Mapsource (the program) from here
    That download is dependant on a working and fully installed MapSource from your original iQue CD

What is stamped on the CD CitySelect, is it Update v6?

If your iQue is second hand then [in my case] nothing works without the original v5 CitySelect that came with the unit!

Since then Updates v6, v7 and today v8 will always need the original FULL v5 installation.

Are your unit and CitySelect registered to each other?

The unit ID is behind the open antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by strumble

What is stamped on the CD CitySelect, is it Update v6?

If your iQue is second hand then [in my case] nothing works without the original v5 CitySelect that came with the unit!

Since then Updates v6, v7 and today v8 will always need the original FULL v5 installation.

Are your unit and CitySelect registered to each other?

The unit ID is behind the open antenna.
    Yes it says v6 on the cd. 6.01 The ID of the unit matches what it says I unlocked with on the software and the website.

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    Yes it says v6 on the cd. 6.01 The ID of the unit matches what it says I unlocked with on the software and the website.
    Have you installed MapSource?
    Your version 6 is it the full version or 'update' v6?
    How many CDs are there in the version?

I noticed a similar situation when I recently installed my full version of City Select v7. It seemed the MapSource software installed properly but it never created an icon to launch MapSource plus when I looked at the folder where MapSource was installed I didn't see the actual application but yet all the detailed maps were there. I then installed the software that came with my eTrex Vista Cx and it asked if I wanted to create an icon for MapSource and I selected yes. Now the MapSource application does appear in the folder and works properly.

Hi all, I just updated from 6.5 to ver 7 the new updated cd or DVD and seem to have lost view of rivers, creeks, ponds, and small lakes. The only body of water that showed up was our local reservior. I've tryed different detail and nothing seems to work. There's a small stream that runs behind my house called Eagle creek and it no longer is there. I also checked for updates after installing ver 7 and ver 6.9 showed as the upgrade from within Map Source, so I'm assumming this upgraded the 6.5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by iQueRMA
    I noticed a similar situation when I recently installed my full version of City Select v7. It seemed the MapSource software installed properly but it never created an icon to launch MapSource plus when I looked at the folder where MapSource was installed I didn't see the actual application but yet all the detailed maps were there. I then installed the software that came with my eTrex Vista Cx and it asked if I wanted to create an icon for MapSource and I selected yes. Now the MapSource application does appear in the folder and works properly.
    So in your situation the map Install in the palm desktop still said that the pas were locked, no matter what you tried? Cause that is what is happening to me. I wonder if I installed that software if it would ask me as well. Is it available online.

I also wonder if upgrading to 6.9 would help.

Strumble.....It appears to be the full version. It has two CDs

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    Strumble.....It appears to be the full version. It has two CDs
    My CitySelect Europe UPGRADE v7 has 3 CDs
    My CitySelect Europe UPGRADE v8 has 1 DVD

The UPDATE CDs are in a case with the words UPDATE CD on the top right of the case [white lettering on black]

It is usually these update CDs that are for sale on eBAY etc.
    Garmin supply them free and allow you to open two of your own units for a set 'unlock charge'.

Unless you get the initial setup [CitySelect] sorted - the new update v7 may be a waste of time!

Is the unit 'new' and was the CD case sealed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast