HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410) Resolution

Thread: HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410) Resolution

Arrow HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410) Resolution

I was working with a client on a HotSync issue in which we had to hard set the device, a Tungsten E2 (on Windows XP Pro). After doing the hard reset, the HotSync would fail with the following log:

Code:
    HotSync operation started 08/11/06 15:38:22
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Background-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\BackgroundThumb-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\CalculusDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzAddressDB.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzCommsLib.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzLogger.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\CitiesDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\ConfigDBLib.PRC
       - Already exists: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Euchre.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\FavoritesDB-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts_.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts__.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts___.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts____.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts_____.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\LibInstall.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\locLCusLocationDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\locLDefLocationDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\mLog.PRC
       - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\mLog_enUS.PRC
    Install synchronization failed
    Restore application database error
    HotSync Error: Connection is lost  (6410)
    HotSync operation complete 08/11/06 15:38:33
    I noticed that mLog_enUS.PRC was failing, so we moved it to the Desktop and tried again. This time, we got the following error log:

Code:
    HotSync operation started 08/11/06 15:55:14
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Background-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\BackgroundThumb-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\CalculusDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzAddressDB.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzCommsLib.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\cdzLogger.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\CitiesDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\ConfigDBLib.PRC
       - Already exists: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Euchre.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\FavoritesDB-Fave.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts__.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts___.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts____.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts_____.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts______.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\LibInstall.PRC
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\locLCusLocationDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\locLDefLocationDB.PDB
       - Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\mLog.PRC
       - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Palm\kes784\backup\mMail.PRC
    Install synchronization failed
    Restore application database error
    HotSync Error: Connection is lost  (6410)
    HotSync operation complete 08/11/06 15:55:26
    Ok, so the mMail.PRC file was now failing, which is the next file in the list. So we moved all the files from Background-Fave.PDB to mLog_enUS.PRC to a folder on the Desktop and tried again. It worked!

Apparently the HotSync is failing after moving 15 files. I'm not sure why, perhaps it is the nature of HotSync. Regardless, if you temporarily move the files that you've already synced to another folder, you can get everything moved. Then just put everything back in one directory.

I hope this helps!

I don't know if this is germaine or not, but when I synched my Outlook Contacts today to my Palm TX, it said that I could only import 15 Categories (it imported all the data, but just wouldn't display more than 15 categories to sort them by). So maybe 15 is a magical number to the Palm OS??

Cool

I would like to know if installing 15 files at once actually caused the lost connection error.

With my own clients I see the 6410 error very frequently and most commonly it is not associated with large lists of files queued to be installed (or any files at all for that matter).

I am glad to see that your solution worked, but I am curious to see if this was a space/combined-file-size issue, the 15 file limit as you've said, or something else altogether (never a huge shock with Palms).