Unable to install PsiWin 2.3.3 on XP

Thread: Unable to install PsiWin 2.3.3 on XP

Unable to install PsiWin 2.3.3 on XP

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find any trace in the archives (or elsewhere).

I'm trying to install PsiWin 2.3.3 on Win XP SP2. It seems to start my Epson Scanner software at the start of the installation. It then won't go any further.

I have a feeling I had this problem with some other software and that, for that, there was a small file which temporarily altered the registry and allowed the installation to work, re-setting the registry afterwards.

Is there anything like that for PsiWin or another way around the problem?

Chris

Hello “Chrispics”.

Just found your thread “Unable To Install PsiWin 2.3.3 On XP”. I have never had a problem installing the Epoc software onto my XP Pro set up but once there I could rarely get it to work properly. On each installation though, I always got Error 401 (“string variable not large enough”) but sadly that meant nothing to a novice like myself and I had no idea what to do about it. Neither my Osaris or Psion MX5 would connect regularly and trying to make backups was just a waste of time. However when I switch to MS Millennium Edition on another partition, everything works perfectly for both machines. I should add that a mate says he has never had any problems using his Psion on his XP desktop. I did try using PsiWin registry cleaner to sort things out but this made no difference and even now I still have the redundant MY PSION icon on my desktop which I can’t get rid of.

I have no idea why your scanner started up but when you start installing PsiWin it recommends turning off all Windows applications. I would also turn off all your peripherals as well and have another go at installing.

Depending on what you want to use your Psion for, I can recommend installing the OPL SDK, which works without any problems for both my Osaris and Psion on both my operating systems. Here I can develop all my programs much more comfortably than on the handhelds and then use Epoc Connect to transfer. (On my ME set up of course).

It will be interesting to see whether anything will run when I have to move onto Vista shortly.

Best Regards, Fraser Jordan, Ballachulish.

Try to change a Windows Temporary directory path for your user to C:\Temp.

“Hello Gelleal”.
    I didn’t really understand what your thread meant (I am a novice) but I tried another installation of Epoc Connect to my XP Pro set-up and when asked told it to install to C:\TEMP. Again I got ERROR 401 and nothing worked when I attempted to connect my Psion. Not really bothered because I still have everything working properly on my MS Millennium set-up, I used Add/Remove to uninstall and was very pleased when the MY PSION Icon finally disappeared, so your thread was helpful in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Jordan
    I tried another installation of Epoc Connect to my XP Pro set-up and when asked told it to install to C:\TEMP
    1. Use PsiWin 2.3.3 instead of Epoc Connect. Can be obtained from Psion official site.
    2. I did not mean that you must install it to C:\Temp.
    You must do the following: under XP go to Control panel --> System; open the Advanced tab; click System variables and change path related to Temp variable to C:\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp.

Hi again and thanks for your replies,

My problem appears to be to do with the Registry. I saw a similar situation when I tried to install my Fuji camera software. Fuji produced a program to temporarily change the registry and allow installation then, when run again, it undid the changes it had made.

I wonder if the same program would work for PsiWin?

Chrispics

“Hello again Gelleal”.
    I went to EnviromentalVariables on my XP Pro set up and found both TEMP and TMP there already set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, so I guess my problem lies somewhere else, possibly this 401 String Error. As I am only on a Dial-up I won’t be downloading the 24 Meg PSIWIN 2-3-3 file for now as I already have what I need working well on my MS Millennium set up but do thank you for your help.

I did also install Epoc Connect Lite (which is on one of my 5 Symbian SDK discs) but this also refused to connect my machines so I uninstalled it.

Just read “Chrispics” thread from today but am unable to offer anything more. Good Luck!!!

Hi,
    I'm trying to install Psiwin 2 onto XP Home and also getting the 401 string error. If I ignore the message it installs ok but I can't copy any files. Having removed the program I cannot get rid of the desktop icon. Does anyone know what this error is and how to tackle it?
    Many thanks
    geoff956

to uninstall and get rid of the Psion icon, you have to do a complete uninstall: Do the regular Add/Remove uninstall, then run Registry Clean (the "Sticky link here http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93). Otherwise Psiwin2.3.3 won't re-install. As to the error - I don't know anything about it, sorry.

Keith
    5mx, netBook, 5mxPro

Hi Keith,
    Thanks very much for your advice. I'll give it a go.

PATH Variable too long

The reason why this happens is that it's trying to append a path at the end of the PATH variable and by doing so it exceeds the maximum path length. For the EPOC emulator install I was able to resolve this by shortening the system PATH variable (after making a copy of the original value), installing the product, seeing what it added new at the end of the PATH variable, and affixing this to the end of the original path variable. This was in Windows 7 - I wonder whether that would work in earlier versions.