IMAP on Email

Thread: IMAP on Email

IMAP on Email

I'd like to experiment with using IMAP on the Psion 5mx. My Email Getting Started Guide tells me, in the section Setting up the Email Program, that I can, "If the Mailbox type line is displayed, choose the mailbox type, e.g. 'POP3' or 'IMAP'." This refers to the dialog box for adding new email accounts.

I can't get any further, though, as the Mailbox type line is never displayed. I've tried this on all my ER5 machines. Each of which credits IMAP programmers in the About dialog box, so the feature should apparently be present. Is there some hocus pocus I need to do to get this line to appear?

Yeah, you need to install IMAP4 email plugin. IMAP is instantly available only on netBook ROM, but all other models needs to install it manually. Look at pscience5 website for the installation file.
    osg

Thanks osg. I couldn't find it on Pscience5 (well, not on the Psion support files page at least). But I found a copy here.

Hi, Snigfarp,

It's a buggy program, but it works, more or less. I've used it for AOL for years (AOL, by the way, is free). Since AOL needs SMTP authentication, you can't send from Psion's Email, but you can send from XJMail (just set up an AOL account or other IMAP service that needs SMTP authentication for send only) or perhaps you can use that great Java-SMTP-Authentication program someone developed for the 5mx.

One thing I've noticed, and it may be AOL-specific, is that after I check mail, the plugin crashes when I try to open Inbox. The workaround I use is check mail, let the Inbox folder construct itself, then CLOSE AOL, and then reopen it. From that point, I can open Inbox and read, copy, and delete with abandon.

I'll be interested to hear if you have the same Inbox problems with your IMAP email. I've never known if this is AOL's problem or the plug-ins. On the other hand, I've always been grateful for the ability to receive and send IMAP mail (AOL stinks, I know, I know--but folks have had our address since '95, and so we limp along with it; at least we're not paying for it anymore).

Jake

If I do use IMAP it will be on my own Linux IMAP/POP3 server so I should be in a position to solve any server-side problems.

You might save me the bother though if I tell you what I want to use it for: I'd like sent mail to be on the server rather than the Psion, since the Psion's ability to archive sent mail is clunky to say the least. Does Psion Email still keep sent mail in a local folder when you're using IMAP, or does it create an IMAP folder for it?

At the moment I'm having to Bcc: every message I write to a specific address on my Linux box to make sure it gets archived.

I can't answer that, I'm afraid, since I can't send mail from Psion Email, smtp authentication and all that. XJMail will save to a local folder, but its GUI is basic to be polite, and for most users beyond Atari, probably doesn't make an inventory that would be fun to browse.

Your IMAP doesn't need SMTP authentication?

Jake

I will join your discussion. I am using IMAP without SMTP auth. I never discovered crashes and I was downloading really heavy folders with over 1000 messages. It was slow, but no crash. Sent items are stored locally on the psion :-(
    osg

Thanks osg, that means it's pointless my switching from POP3 to IMAP then, as the only feature I want is the ability to archive sent mail on the server. My next eposide in this adventure will be to see if I can configure the SMTP server to automatically catch any mail coming from the Psion, and copy it to the address I've set up for archiving sent mail. But that will be a Linux problem, not a Psion one.

The IMAP4.zip file is on Pscience5, but when I install that file I need also the Epoc Messaging file. I can't find that file.
    Regards,

Kees.

Hi, KvdS!

I'm between countries these days and won't see my ER5 devices for some time. But if you can PM me your email address, I can at least email you the IMAP4.sis file that I used successfully.

I don't ever remember that error, so maybe my sis can help.

Jake