Wired ethernet card compatibility

Thread: Wired ethernet card compatibility

Wired ethernet card compatibility

I've been doing quite a lot of digging recently to try to find a wired ethernet card to use in my 7Book. I've happily used an Orinoco Wavelan Gold Card for a wireless connection, with "128-bit" WEP encryption on my home wireless network, but being paranoid I want to use WPA (rather more secure) for the connections between our 3 laptops and the wireless access point, and of course the Orinoco card can't cope with WPA... I assume that the chance of finding a wireless card which will work in the 7Book *and* support WPA is vanishingly small, so thought I'd look for a wired network card. I know that I need to find a card which uses the original 16-bit PCMCIA interface rather than the 32-bit Cardbus interface, but beyond that, does anyone have any guidance on which wired network cards will work with the 7Book? I've found a 3Com Megahertz 10/100 card on eBay for a good price, but there's not a lot of point in buying it if it won't work in the 7Book...

Thanks in advance for any help....

Ian
    Ian Park

Here's sad - replying to my own post - nobody else did...

I've come reluctantly to the conclusion that the only wired network cards which have any chance of working with the 7Book are those from Psion itself.

I bought a Psion Gold Card V.34 + Fax + Ethernet (complete with dongle) on ebay, in the hope that it would give me ethernet connectivity without having to swap my wireless access point over from WPA to WEP encryption, but got a big fat nothing when I tried to use FLFinger to ping one of the machines on my network. At the risk of throwing good money after bad, I've decided to try a Gold Card CombineIT 56k + 10/100 ethernet (also from ebay) - that comes without the dongle, so I *hope* I'll be able to use the dongle from the V.334 + Fax + Ethernet card! I'll report back when it's arrived and I've tried it.

Two allied questions:

1. I've forgotten how to find out the identity of the original OS build on my 7Book (I see from an earlier post that I decided it was a 754, but since then I've had a replacement motherboard) - can someone remind me how to find that out, please?

2. Is there a way to find out the MAC address of the ethernet card when it's plugged into the Psion? I'm used to being able to use ipconfig on a Windoze box or ifconfig on a Linux box, but I don't know whether there's an equivalent for the Psion.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian
    Ian Park

Hi Ian,

I use only one wired card (Psion 56K+10/100 Ethernet Goldcard) with my ADSL. Haven't tried any other card, to much work ;-)
    With WiFi is different. I (have) use(d) many different WiFicards. I think I have about 20 different WiFi-cards different specs and/or brands. My favorite one is the Buffalo Airstation, it keeps you having access to your stylus and works great. It's not the only NON-blocking card, but the other brand/type is not near as good.

Re. 1: Go to Menu; Information; Machine or Menu; Information; About Epoc.
    Re. 2: With my WiFi-card I use netStatRF, maybe this works also for wired cards?

Regards,

Richard
    the Dutch Psioncollector

Thanks but...

Hi Richard

Thanks for the speedy reply. You give me some cause for hope that when the Gold Card CombineIT 56k + 10/100 ethernet arrives I might have more success than with the V.34 Gold Card...

I was able to buy an Orinoco Gold wireless card on ebay a while back; I *know* it blocks the stylus hole, but otherwise it seems to be OK, apart from the fact that it doesn't support WPA encryption. If the Buffalo Airstation supported WPA I'd be interested, because that wouldn't tie me to using wired network access to connect my 7Book to the network. It wouldn't make for domestic harmony to have to switch the wireless access point from WPA to WEP, because my wife would lose the network connection for her laptop...

On the identification of the OS, my first reaction was to go to Menu;Information;Machine, but that tells me the software version is 1.05(450), which doesn't look much like the original Series 7 OS identifier. It's the same as I see when I use Menu;Information;About Netbook. I guess that the only way to find the original OS build would be to put the Series 7 ROM back in, which would lose all my 7Book setup!

On the use of NetstatRF, I'll have to try when I receive the Gold Card CombineIT 56k + 10/100 ethernet - it certainly can't see the V.34 Gold Card (though of course it can see, and tells me the MAC address for, my Orinoco card). I had hoped to find a copy of Netutils from itnat.kbsunet.ru/~vkv/psion/netutils/netutils_en.htm, but that URL gives the dreaded error 404 - page not found. If anyone reads this post and can send a copy to me I'd be *very* grateful!

Ian
    Ian Park

Hi Ian,

First look at your PM! If you ever look for lost links use the Web Archive:
    http://www.archive.org/web/web.php . This will work for many times, even downloads.

To my knowledge there is NO card which will work together with your Psion (Epoc) and using WPA or higher. Only WEP encryption is supported, or NO encryption at all.

NO WiFi:
    Psion 7

YES WiFi:
    Psion 7 with netBook personality ROM = 7Book
    MalayBook with netBook personality ROM = MBook
    Psion netBook

Richard
    the Dutch Psioncollector

Thanks Richard - I have now looked at my PM! Thank you too for the link to the archives to get round broken download links - I shall make a note of it.

You've confirmed my suspicions about the gap between WPA encryption and a Psion Netbook/7Book. I think I'll rely on using a wired network connection at home (assuming the Gold Card 56k + 10/100 Ethernet works OK...). The alternatives are to set my wireless access at home to use WEP (which isn't attractive to me) or no encryption (even worse!), or to switch it over to use WEP only when I want to connect the Psion to the network (a lot of hassle) or to buy another wireless access point and set it to use WEP, but only switch it on when I want to connect the Psion to the network (rather expensive, and almost as much hassle as swapping over the encryption on my existing wireless access point).

Thank you, I was aware of the various combinations which will and won't support Wifi (or indeed any networking other than the serial interface or infra-red).

Thank you for your help, and all the best

Ian
    Ian Park

Oh dear, it gets worse I've received my Psion Gold Card WAN Global (without dongle) and (of course...) the connector for the dongle is *different* from the one on the V34 + Fax + Ethernet card... It begins to look as though I have been throwing good money after bad!

Googling for "Psion Gold Card" + Ethernet + dongle has returned lots of hits for people selling Gold cards with Ethernet but *no dongle*, but no sign of the ethernet dongle - where have all the dongles gone!

Ian
    Ian Park