How to remove adhesive residue from screen protector?

Thread: How to remove adhesive residue from screen protector?

How to remove adhesive residue from screen protector?

After 4+ years, I decided to pull my screen protector off my iQue 3600. Of course, about 20% of the screen is now covered in adhesive residue (the glue came off the plastic sheet). How do I get it off safely? I am worried acetone or another harsh chemical will damage the display. Can I use cooking oil and a Q-tip to slowly break down the adhesive?

Thanks in advance,

- Mike

I used Goof Off on mine with no ill effects. You could also use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

The label says "Use on Nylon, polypropylene and wool carpets, fully cured varnished and oil base painted surfaces, vinyl baseboard, laminated counter tops, vinyl floors, solid vinyl upholstery, all metals, brick, wood, concrete, grout, vinyl tops, fiberglass & most fabrics."

Thanks!

The rubbing alcohol worked perfectly. I used a bit on a Q-tip and slowly worked the residue off. More alcohol cleaned up any residual, and then I used a clean moistened towel to wipe it clean!

- Mike

Thanks for sharing that, Mike. I just bought a used Palm TX from eBay.ca and I would like to replace the screen protector on it. It wasn't installed perfectly so there are a few bubbles in places that annoy me. I've been afraid to remove the old one because I wasn't sure what I would encounter. Now I know how to clean it if it needs it, so I can go ahead.

Have you found a good screen protector for the iQue that doesn't reduce the visibility? The ones I have are matte, for antiglare I suppose, and they reduce the visibility quite a lot.

...ken...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Regina
    Thanks for sharing that, Mike. I just bought a used Palm TX from eBay.ca and I would like to replace the screen protector on it. It wasn't installed perfectly so there are a few bubbles in places that annoy me. I've been afraid to remove the old one because I wasn't sure what I would encounter. Now I know how to clean it if it needs it, so I can go ahead.

Have you found a good screen protector for the iQue that doesn't reduce the visibility? The ones I have are matte, for antiglare I suppose, and they reduce the visibility quite a lot.

...ken...
    Yeah, all of them seem to reduce the brightness and contrast of the screen. In all honesty, I bought my iQue on 12/10/2003... I figure it has to be near the end of its service life, so I am "going commando" (no screen protection) until it dies.

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Emission
    Yeah, all of them seem to reduce the brightness and contrast of the screen. In all honesty, I bought my iQue on 12/10/2003... I figure it has to be near the end of its service life, so I am "going commando" (no screen protection) until it dies.

- Mike
    My original iQue has always had a naked screen. It's obvious where I've been writing in the Grafitti area .. pretty scratchy and difficult to see anything on that part of the screen. But after seeing how much the screen protector dims down the Palm TX, which has a much brighter screen, and the used iQue I bought from eBay.ca that also has a screen protector on it, I'm much happier without one on my original iQue.

Given how scratched up my original is on the Grafitti area, it's too bad there isn't a clear screen protector that doesn't dim the display. It's not an issue when I'm writing Grafitti, but it's getting rather difficult to see what's behind the scratches when I'm using it in fullscreen mode.

...ken...

I like the Boxwave screen protectors. They have a shiny and matte one. If visibility is your main issue try the crystal shiny one.

Personally I like to the matte for improved Grafitti.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helberg
    I like the Boxwave screen protectors. They have a shiny and matte one. If visibility is your main issue try the crystal shiny one.

Personally I like to the matte for improved Grafitti.

Adam
    Thanks Adam. I'll look into them.

Are you using Grafitti 1 or Grafitti 2? I find Grafitti 1 seems to be quicker on my iQue than Grafitti 2 so that's what I use. It seems to make a difference that it never has to wait to see if it's a two-stroke character.

...ken...

Thanks Adam. I'll look into them.

Are you using Grafitti 1 or Grafitti 2? I find Grafitti 1 seems to be quicker on my iQue than Grafitti 2 so that's what I use. It seems to make a difference that it never has to wait to see if it's a two-stroke character.

...ken...
    I never liked Grafitti 2 because of the two stroke characters. I also tried Grafitti 1 using the two replacement files, but I finally settled on TealScript as, with a bit of tuning, I got the best results.

It's too bad there is not a good way to use Grafitti with Treos, as while using the keyboard is OK, I find myself picking up a stylus to use the touch screen. Changing from keyboard to stylus and back is awkward. I wish Palm offered a Grafitti Treo.

I think Palm made a number of mistakes:
    1. changing from Grafitti 1 to 2
    2. hacking the Palm OS to implement NVFS-- a real disaster turning the snappy Palm OS into one that responds like a truck
    3. not offering a Grafitti version of the Treo

I think they could offer a Treo Classic without NVFS and with Grafitti input, phone and WiFi. They would need to add a card backup program to their OS. That would have kept the large Palm base from switching to other smart phones.

Adam

I've always used Grafitti 1 on my iQue 3600. It's quicker and more sensitive than G2. I recently picked up a used Palm T|X on eBay to see what it would be like to use Mobile XT. It reminds me why I hate G2 so much.

You've probably explained another thing I noticed. I expected the TX to be faster than the iQue but it's not. In some operations the iQue is noticably spryer than the TX. And don't get me going on some of the built-in apps on the TX!!

I didn't think I would care much about the wifi but the other night I was sitting in the living room and while I was half-watching a football game I figured I would see if I could get the wifi going with my wireless network in the house and then see if I could get the browser and email working. It was pretty simple and it wasn't long before I had checked my email and browsed a couple of forums.

Versamail is actually a decent basic email program and Blazer isn't really awful as a browser. Being able to rotate the screen horizontally is a big help. The biggest problem with web browsing is that so few sites seem to have a "mobile" mode. At least if they do, it's not obvious how to get at it. It seems to be hit and miss. Google's search page seems to automatically recognize a mobile browser but Gmail and Calender and Reader don't. What's with that?

Mobile XT turns it into a pretty decent imitation of a Nuvi, with Contacts integration similar to the iQue. The only problem with Mobile XT is that about every second time I run it (v5.00.10) I get a "not enough DBcache" error and it wants to be reinstalled. I have to do a soft reset to persuade it to run again. I have to figure out how to get around the DBcache problem before I can consider using it seriously.

...ken...

Hi Ken,
    Dmitry has a programs that the increases the dynamic memory.
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/readarti...p?article_id=8

I'm not sure if that's the issue or if it's the NVFS cache memory. If it's the latter you may try ResetDoctor which automatically flushes the cache memory when it goes below a specified threshold.

Adam

Thanks, Adam. Close but no cigar. I got Dmitry's "Uncache" last night and installed it. I used the TX with XT a few times today and no more "insufficient DBcache" errors. Happiness.

Now I'll have to figure out how to buy and register the thing (Dmitry does not make it easy to buy his stuff...).

...ken...

Thanks, Adam. Close but no cigar. I got Dmitry's "Uncache" last night and installed it. I used the TX with XT a few times today and no more "insufficient DBcache" errors. Happiness.

Now I'll have to figure out how to buy and register the thing (Dmitry does not make it easy to buy his stuff...).

...ken...
    If that's the issue, there is another program that is supposed to be similar to Uncache and is freeware written by Alex Pruss. It's CleanStart
    http://www.1src.com/freeware/fileinfo.php?id=1797

You can try both to see which works better.

Adam

Removing spray adhesive from screen protector

Some craft spray adhesive got onto my iPhone screen protector and a product called "Crayon Away" by Goo Gone removed it very successfully. I applied a few drops to a soft cloth (not directly onto the phone) and rubbed gently. It did a great job, came out like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Emission View Post
    After 4+ years, I decided to pull my screen protector off my iQue 3600. Of course, about 20% of the screen is now covered in adhesive residue (the glue came off the plastic sheet). How do I get it off safely? I am worried acetone or another harsh chemical will damage the display. Can I use cooking oil and a Q-tip to slowly break down the adhesive?

Thanks in advance,

- Mike

Removing adhesive from screen protector

Some craft spray adhesive got on my screen protector. Rubbing alcohol and Windex did not work, but a product called "Crayon Away" made by Goo Gone worked very successfully. I applied a few drops to a small cloth and rubbed the screen gently. The result was great, screen protector looks like new.