iQue 3600 and Windows 7

Thread: iQue 3600 and Windows 7

Question iQue 3600 and Windows 7

Well, yea, my iQue 3600 is still working well, and I am still using it.

I just got a Windows 7 PC, and of course, I need to install all the software to support the iQue.

I did find Garmin's updated USB drivers at http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=591

However, what version of Palm's desktop/hotsync software do I need for Windows 7 ?

I did find Palm's update software at http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com.../33529_en.html but of course, Palm doesn't list Garmin's devices in its Devices Support lists.

Has anyone already gone down this path and could provide some guidance?

Stay away from Palm's desktop. Use only the Garmin version. Here's what I did to get it working in Win7:

Install from the original CD:

- If the autorun tries to launch the setup, cancel it.
    - Find the Setup.exe program on the CD, right-click it and "Send to" > "Desktop (create shortcut)".
    - Right-click the shortcut, select Properties and set it to run as Administrator.
    - Launch the shortcut to start the software installation.

Follow the installation procedure exactly. This is critical. In particular, make sure you do the cable connections and Hotsync exactly when the instructions tell you to.

(Make sure you have copious backups of your data. Do a card backup onto your SD card .. I use CardBkup, others have other preference. Make sure the Palm Desktop data is also backed up somewhere. When you do the initial Hotsync in the installation, the installer thinks you have a virgin iQue and will make quite a mess of things for you, so you need to be able to restore things once the installation is done.)

Once the installation is done, stop right there. If you try to update the driver or if you try to update the Palm Desktop (which will also monkey with the driver) you will probably discover that Hotsync stops working.

As soon as the installation is done, find the Palm.exe and Hotsync.exe program files (C:\Program Files\Palm folder), right-click > Properties and set them to run as Administrator and also set the compatibility mode to "XP SP2" (or XP SP3 should also work).

I tried a variety of things when I installed on Windows 7 and I discovered that if I stopped as soon as the original installation was done I was okay. If I try to update anything on the PC afterwards, it messes up the drivers and you can no longer sync. Every time I tried updating anything on the PC I ended up having to uninstall and then do the original installation over again.

Feel free to experiment, but just be aware that you may have to uninstall and redo the original installation to get it working.

I hope this helps.

...ken...

First, thanks Ken!

I do have a couple of follow-up questions.

Do you execute the setup.exe that's in the root directory on the CD, or the one in the desktop directory?

During the installation of the Desktop, it stops and asks if I would allow it to install a driver of questionable quality (or some words like that). Did you click on 'yes'? I assume that will install the driver off the CD, which I am unsure if its the best one (is there one built-into Win 7 that's better?).

You execute the shortcut that you created on the desktop and set to run as administrator. That's kinda the point of creating it.

Yes, you let the installer install the driver it wants to. Yes, it will install the drivers from the CD. That's why the question is being asked. It's not a certified driver (was created before Microsoft even had the concept of driver certification).

Getting something this old to work at all in Vista and Win7 is a pretty touchy proposition. Keeping it working after you've got it working is equally touchy. Once you get it to where it will Hotsync you do not want to ever do anything, or let Windows do anything, to mess with the drivers. That includes updating to a newer version of either the USB drivers or the Palm Desktop (which will try to update the drivers).

There is no new functionality in the newer version of the Desktop anyway. It's just minor bug fixes that most of us never experience.

I'm not telling you not to monkey with updates, just to have realistic expectations about how likely it is to work and to expect that you might end up reinstalling a few times as you mess with things.

...ken...

iQue, W7, 64-bit

Ken,

Your creative install process to get HOTSYNC for iQue to work with Vista or Windows 7... Was it for 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

I understand from both Garmin and Palm there is no driver for USB HOTSYNC in 64-bit.

Does your process work in 64-bit OS W7?

Thanks

Vic

Have not gotten it to work in Win7 64-bit but that's ok. I mainly use for GPS and am able to download directly from Mapsource onto SD card. Will not be able to update contacts in Palm software however.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotcfi View Post
    Ken,

Your creative install process to get HOTSYNC for iQue to work with Vista or Windows 7... Was it for 32-bit or 64-bit OS?
    32-bit.

I understand from both Garmin and Palm there is no driver for USB HOTSYNC in 64-bit.
    Correct. Not for Vista or Win7.

Does your process work in 64-bit OS W7?
    I don't know. I never got that far with 64-bit Win7 before I tossed it, reformated and installed the 32-bit version.

I would guess that it won't work for Hotsync. No magic can cure an incompatible USB driver. The driver is only marginally functional in the 32-bit version so I can't imagine that it would come close to working in 64-bit.

I'm assuming you don't care that the Palm Desktop will probably still work just fine if you can't Hotsync.

...ken...